Alberobello

Book OnLine

A small Apulian town in the heart of the Itria Valley, popular for its trulli (from the Greek troùllos) particular dry constructions on a squared plant and coniferous covering, Alberobello was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1996, joining the 51 World Heritage List sites.
Its roots date back to the sixteenth century - a small fief called "Silva Arboris Belli" began to be populated by peasants who, under the rule of the Acquaviva Counts di Conversano, were required to cultivate the land.
The abundance of stratified limestone rocks and the permission granted by the Counts to build only houses with dry stone walls, which could have been broken down in case of royal inspection, to avoid paying tributes to the king (according to the "Pragmatica de Baronibus" that submitted to the tribute every urban settlement), led to the birth of the trulli.
On May 27, 1797, King Ferdinand IV of Bourbon, following the appeal for help from a group of Alberobello people, issued a decree which the small trulli village became free from feudal servitude with - it promoted royal town this way and took the name of Alberobello.

Hotel Resort